The Point of Vanishing & Other Dreams

Blog


In my blog, I explore the themes that weave through my stories and dreams:

the need to belong, and the fear of loss; the longing for family and home and love; loneliness and the extraordinary power of the human spirit; depression - and hope; the clarifying presence of the natural world, and ways of being awake and alive in the only moment we really have: this one.

I hope you'll follow me beyond the storytelling, and join me on this very human journey....




MoonsilverTales

"Yes: I am a dreamer. For a dreamer is one who can only find his way by moonlight, and his punishment is that he sees the dawn before the rest of the world." ~Oscar Wilde

‘I dream my paintings and then I paint my dreams’. ~Vincent Van Gogh

The following little creations are taken from recent dreams, rough hewn and unpolished, mined directly from the unconscious. They are the raw material for future Wishing Tree tales, and they are very, very short .

Saturday 21 November 2015

Thriving in the Wilderness

I have always been fascinated by the art of survival without electricity, shops, buildings, or any of our modern-day comforts.  I'm not sure why.  Perhaps this harks back to happy childhood memories of being in the New Zealand mountains for weeks or months at a time with no power or plumbing or nearby supply centre, and regularly tramping in the bush for days on end in all weathers and terrains while my father did his fieldwork, cooking on open fires with a billy, sleeping under the stars.  My brother became a passionate speliologist (caver) and would disappear underground for days or weeks underground, exploring new cavern systems.  My mother would join my father on his field trips even when we were babies, washing nappies in the creek and then hanging them out to dry on a rope attached to the tent, and dangle my brother by a backpack over a high waterfall to keep him occupied for hours when he was about one year old. Meanwhile, I have become an indoor writer with an indoor job in a country that is so overpopulated it is almost impossible to be alone, anywhere.
With some regret I admit that as a family we did use matches and sleeping bags, and we did bring our own food.  So it wasn't strictly speaking 'survival'.  It was more 'minimisation'.  But my father did used manage to light small fires for a cup of tea in the wet rainforest and keep them burning, and used his skills with a knife to create makeshift tools from the bush when needed, and taught me to eat things like the pulp of the nikau palm (but only if it had fallen over, since all NZ bush is protected).


Over the years I've come to realise what I'm most interested in is bushcraft.  My husband laughs at me when I say this, and remarks that I'm more likely to cut my thumb off with a bush knife than skin a rabbit.  He has a point.  But it doesn't suppress my desire to learn all I can about how to survive - even thrive - without any modern tool except a decent knife, a foldaway saw, and perhaps a sleeping bag (my one concession to comfort).
Perhaps I fear an apocalypse.  Or a financial crash so huge that the world is brought to a halt.  Or solar flares so severe that all the computer systems seize up and we find ourselves incapacitated in ways we can't imagine in the modern world.  Or perhaps I just don't like being dependent on external systems to the extent that, without them, I would be as helpless as a babe.
One of my all-time heroes is Ray Mears.  I devour his television series, buy his books on bushcraft, and plan to attend a Woodlore course. (He and David Attenborough top my hero list.) Thriving in the bush will never be like learning a mother tongue for me, not at my age, but one day perhaps I can be as competent in it as a halting second language - well, enough to survive, were I to find myself in that position.  I have a decent compass, which I still can't read properly, but I can at least read ordinance maps, thanks to my father.  I am trying to learn as many knots as I can.  I am investigating decent bush knives and am horrified at the prices and wondering whether I can justify it or if this whole thing is some kind of wishful dream.
I did manage to do a 3-day survival course some years ago in the Lake District.  It wasn't quite what I hoped.  It was run by two ex-army men, and part of it even involved a mock hostage situation where we had to kneel in the mud with our wrists tied behind us while we were interrogated.  But we did navigate by night to find a tarn (took us five hours) and crossed rivers with our backpacks on, and learned how to use the emergency survival cigar tin with its sugar and magnesium and flint with knife for lighting fires.  I still want the pure version. I want to learn to use friction with the right kinds of sticks for lighting fires using a fire drill, and make ovens in the soil and our own shelters and catch fish with tools I've made.
In the meantime, I live vicariously through my story characters.  For twenty years I have had a novel on the backburner, much of which involves researching survival techniques in the wilderness.  Even if I learn the skills second-hand in this way, it is a start.  
And you have to start somewhere, with every dream.
Photo (right): Gypsy Nester.com (Masai warriors)


5 comments :

Unknown said...

I applaud your bravery my dear friend. Me? I must continue to sit in the comforts of my home reading a book and sipping coffee. However, I do wish those skills were known to me... just in case.

juliedawndreams said...

Ah, you do make that sound so wonderful. I'm tempted to wish that I didn't have this crazy obsession with survival in the wilderness so that I could be content with the book and the coffee!

Unknown said...

Another really nice writen memoir, Julie. You are really blessed to have had a childhood like the one you have described to us.
I too have wonderful memories of my childhood, living in a mining villiage that was an island surrounded by beautiful countryside. Has a boy all this countryside was a magical place, all out there to be explored. It was the Wild West to me and my friends, like we were in our very own Wild West movies. But of course, my countryside could never be a match to your New Zealand countryside.
I did all the above you have explained when I was so lucky to have joined the Scouts.There's so many stories I could tell you. The knives ( Penknife or Dagger) we used to carry and of course our friendly companion the box of matches. I was an expert on fires. I was really good at finding out the time of the day from the height and angle of the sun. And, the direction of North and south without having a compass.
Sadly those years are behind me now. I am in the process of writing those memories down onto to paper and I hope you will like my new memoir soon? It is called The Ugly Christmas tree and I will let you be the first to read it ;-)
Sooo looking forward to your book, Julie. Keep up the good wook ;-)

juliedawndreams said...

Well, as you know, I loved The Ugly Christmas tree, Andy. Your best piece so far, in my opinion.
As for childhoods, I am quite sure that yours rivals mine in magical memories. That is the power of the child's imagination. Doesn't matter if it's a bomb site or Mt Everest; the child will make something of it that is beyond what the adult eye sees. I'm really glad you have those memories too and are finding a way of recording them with your great illustrations and flash fiction. Please don't stop.

Unknown said...

Thank you for your kind words, Julie. I've only taken the first steps on the long road to writing and I wont stop ;-) many thanks.