The Point of Vanishing & Other Dreams

Blog


In my blog, I explore the themes that weave through my stories and dreams:

the need to belong, and the fear of loss; the longing for family and home and love; loneliness and the extraordinary power of the human spirit; depression - and hope; the clarifying presence of the natural world, and ways of being awake and alive in the only moment we really have: this one.

I hope you'll follow me beyond the storytelling, and join me on this very human journey....




MoonsilverTales

"Yes: I am a dreamer. For a dreamer is one who can only find his way by moonlight, and his punishment is that he sees the dawn before the rest of the world." ~Oscar Wilde

‘I dream my paintings and then I paint my dreams’. ~Vincent Van Gogh

The following little creations are taken from recent dreams, rough hewn and unpolished, mined directly from the unconscious. They are the raw material for future Wishing Tree tales, and they are very, very short .

Saturday 30 May 2015

Books With a Difference #2: Islands


Okay, so here are another couple of books I've read that I think worth mentioning.

The first is The Girl with Glass Feet, by Ali Shaw (winner of the Desmond Elliott Prize)

This has to be one of my favourite books.  Possibly not to everyone's taste, it is a unique blend of magic realism, love story, and painful human relationships which evolve, and then dissolve. 

It is beautifully, exquisitely written.  I first listened to it on audio and the narrator  truly did it justice, because I went straight out to buy a written copy, something I do only if I intend to re-read the book or lend it to others. 

The plot may seem a little ridiculous to some. 'Strange things are happening on the remote and snowbound archipelago  of St. Hauda’s Land. Magical winged creatures flit around the icy bogland, albino animals hide themselves in the snow-glazed woods, and Ida Maclaird is slowly turning into glass. Ida is an outsider in these parts who has only visited the islands once before. Yet during that one fateful visit the glass transformation began to take hold, and now she has returned in search of a cure.'

But thanks to the quality of the writing, the detailed description of the land and its unique ecology, the poetic atmosphere and sheer originality, I found the story beguiling.  There are glass people buried in a bog, and tiny flying cattle, and the main characters are all tortured in their own particular ways, each of them undergoing a kind of psychological (or literal) transformation.  As I said, it is probably not for everybody, but for me it is a masterpiece.

The second is this: The Vanishing Act by Mette Jakobsen. 

The power of this story is in its understatement, and in its vivid imagery.
      

Minou lives on a small island that can be walked around in under an hour.  Her mother vanished a year ago, and Minou doesn't believe she is dead.  Minou lives with her father, who has devoted his life to philosophy, but she also has her mother's imagination and love of the arts, and she struggles to combine these two approaches to life, in order to find her own answers to what seems unanswerable.


It is simple, and quirky, and beautifully written.  The characters are painted in eccentric shades of colour, and Minou creates an alternate and enchanting world in her imagination.  I wasn't so keen on the flashbacks which I found disorientating, and I know some readers object to the lack of plot. 

But if you love exquisite imagery and whimsical tales, I guarantee you will love this.


2 comments :

Unknown said...

Thank you for the recommendations, you make them sound wonderful

juliedawndreams said...

Have you read them? You must!