The Point of Vanishing & Other Dreams

Blog


In my blog, I explore the themes that weave through my stories and dreams:

the need to belong, and the fear of loss; the longing for family and home and love; loneliness and the extraordinary power of the human spirit; depression - and hope; the clarifying presence of the natural world, and ways of being awake and alive in the only moment we really have: this one.

I hope you'll follow me beyond the storytelling, and join me on this very human journey....




MoonsilverTales

"Yes: I am a dreamer. For a dreamer is one who can only find his way by moonlight, and his punishment is that he sees the dawn before the rest of the world." ~Oscar Wilde

‘I dream my paintings and then I paint my dreams’. ~Vincent Van Gogh

The following little creations are taken from recent dreams, rough hewn and unpolished, mined directly from the unconscious. They are the raw material for future Wishing Tree tales, and they are very, very short .

Saturday 13 June 2015

Books with a Difference #3: Cultures

The Paper House, by Carlos Maria Dominguez

This intriguing novella tells a story within a story, of a booklover slowly driven made by his passion, gradually overwhelmed by his 20,000 volumes, and what he did next (no spoiler alert here). 


Beginning with a Cambridge academic's death, the story follows the investigation by her colleague after he discovers a book in her house encrusted with concrete.  He travels from Cambridge to Buenos Aires to Montevideo 'as he hunts for clues to the identity and fate of an obscure and dedicated bibliophile'.

It is beautifully written (translated), albeit very odd.  I did feel more could have been made of it, particularly the rather lacklustre ending, but I'm including it here because it is one of the most 'different' books I've come across.  It should appeal to anyone who enjoys exploring a quirky tributary over and above the 'mainstream', and anyone who loves reading, collecting, and treasuring books.

The Paper House

A Concise Chinese-English Dictionary for Lovers, by Xiaolu Guo

Yes, it's a ploy, perhaps even a gimmick, starting a book in broken English which gradually improves as the protagonist attends classes and learns from those around her, but it works well, I felt, in this example. 

The story follows 23-year-old Z who arrives in London for a year, to learn English.  She struggles to make sense of the English language and culture, wherein lies much of the book's humour. Then she falls in love with an older English man and struggles to navigate this relationship, too, become needy and insecure; both parties unable to communicate clearly and each contributing to the other's ongoing pain.

The book is very funny, but injected with moments of pathos too.  At times the main character is somewhat irritating, and at other times you just wish the couple's excruciating relationship would end so that everyone can be happy again.  But this aside, I loved this book, especially for the humorous light it throws on English culture (with which, originating from NZ, I could thoroughly identify) and the way that loneliness can make us do unhealthy things just to feel connected to somebody else.

(Xiaolu Guo was named as one of Granta's Best of Young British Novelists)

Chinese-English Dictionary for Lovers B


1 comment :

Unknown said...

When I again find time to read, I will definitely start with one of these. Thank you Julie