The Point of Vanishing & Other Dreams

Blog


In my blog, I explore the themes that weave through my stories and dreams:

the need to belong, and the fear of loss; the longing for family and home and love; loneliness and the extraordinary power of the human spirit; depression - and hope; the clarifying presence of the natural world, and ways of being awake and alive in the only moment we really have: this one.

I hope you'll follow me beyond the storytelling, and join me on this very human journey....




MoonsilverTales

"Yes: I am a dreamer. For a dreamer is one who can only find his way by moonlight, and his punishment is that he sees the dawn before the rest of the world." ~Oscar Wilde

‘I dream my paintings and then I paint my dreams’. ~Vincent Van Gogh

The following little creations are taken from recent dreams, rough hewn and unpolished, mined directly from the unconscious. They are the raw material for future Wishing Tree tales, and they are very, very short .

Saturday 19 July 2014

Perspective: the ant, the bee and the kestrel

 

One of the reasons I love watching foreign films and travelling, is to see how others live and view the world - often so differently from myself. It stretches, widens and broadens my perspective.

 Sometimes, when I'm really stressed or tired or feeling overwhelmed, I like to watch ants scurry along invisible paths on the pavement, or bees in their incessant search for nectar, or kestrels hover, poised, in the sky above me as I drive to work. It reminds me that around me, all the time and everywhere, there are millions of non-human dramas unfolding. These dramas may seem insignificant to us, but to the ant, the bee and the kestrel they are a matter of life and death. Their life stories are as vital and as important and all-encompassing as ours are, depending on whose perspective you take.
 
When we're losing perspective in the midst of the pressure of impossible demands at work or home, when life just seems too much to cope with - that can be a helpful time to pause and observe the non-human dramas carrying on around us; to view the earth from the moon. We are reminded that our own, narrow, limited perspective is just one point of view. It is not the same as 'fact'. Inevitably, it will change, again and again; it is not set in stone.
 
This can create just enough distance between us and whatever is happening to give us breathing space, to wide our vision a little. And that can be enough to get us through.

It's also a reason why I like writing stories from different, non-human perspectives, like the lonely garden narrating The Forgotten Garden, and the voice of the ancient tree in The Wishing Tree.

2 comments :

Unknown said...

I totally agree. Isn't nature restful to watch (for us anyway!). Amazing that animals just know what to do and don't have to debate it or consider or have any of those 'what ifs' going through their head.

juliedawndreams said...

Good point. None of that internal 'chatter' going on. They simply are what they are.