The Point of Vanishing & Other Dreams

Blog


In my blog, I explore the themes that weave through my stories and dreams:

the need to belong, and the fear of loss; the longing for family and home and love; loneliness and the extraordinary power of the human spirit; depression - and hope; the clarifying presence of the natural world, and ways of being awake and alive in the only moment we really have: this one.

I hope you'll follow me beyond the storytelling, and join me on this very human journey....




MoonsilverTales

"Yes: I am a dreamer. For a dreamer is one who can only find his way by moonlight, and his punishment is that he sees the dawn before the rest of the world." ~Oscar Wilde

‘I dream my paintings and then I paint my dreams’. ~Vincent Van Gogh

The following little creations are taken from recent dreams, rough hewn and unpolished, mined directly from the unconscious. They are the raw material for future Wishing Tree tales, and they are very, very short .

Sunday 16 November 2014

On How Not to Steer


So easy to want to steer every moment, every direction in our life, to feel safe and secure in where we are headed.  Or even, for the more relaxed among us, who steer our life more generally, allowing for a few false starts and leeward winds - to fix our eyes unwaveringly on the distant goal, the aim, the moving target. 

Many life-strategy, goal-setting, how-to-achieve-all-you-want-in-life courses are out there, and I suppose there is a place for them.  All I know is, that when I have tried this approach for myself (sometimes for years on end) it has led to nothing but stress and strain and striving, and, even if I achieve my goal, which I sometimes do, I have somehow missed the journey itself.

Perhaps it depends on what kind of person you are.  If you are someone without much ambition, easily satisfied with the status quo, always drifting, then maybe you need a boat with an engine and a tiller.  But if you're like me, always trying to achieve, always dreaming of what's up ahead, never easily satisfied with where things are 'at' right now, then I suspect the worst thing for you is to be is a goal-setter, a striver, always reaching just beyond where you are standing right now....

If you're like me, you need to forget how to steer, and let the waves and wind take you wherever they will.

Mary Oliver puts this beautifully in her poem, If I Wanted a Boat:

I would want a boat, if I wanted a
boat, that bounded hard on the waves,
that didn't know starboard from port
and wouldn't learn, that welcomed
dolphins and headed straight for the
whales, that, when rocks were close,
would slide in for a touch or two,
that wouldn't keep land in sight and
went fast, that leaped into the spray.
What kind of life is it always to plan
and do, to promise and finish, to wish
for the near and the safe?  Yes, by the
heavens, if I wanted a boat I would want
a boat I couldn't steer.

from 'Blue Horses'

3 comments :

Unknown said...

What a good analogy - a boat you cannot steer, I like it! I need one of those! I know the philosophy of living in the moment and letting things just happen but it's easier said than done to stop your brain thinking in 'goal setting' mode!

juliedawndreams said...

Yes, I think you and I both need steerless boats! I'm trying to get used to watching my thoughts and goals rather than stop them. It's easier and you don't end up fighting with yourself.....and they seem to lose momentum somehow.

Unknown said...

I would like a very small row boat with a warm blanket in the middle of the ocean under a starry sky