The Point of Vanishing & Other Dreams

Blog


In my blog, I explore the themes that weave through my stories and dreams:

the need to belong, and the fear of loss; the longing for family and home and love; loneliness and the extraordinary power of the human spirit; depression - and hope; the clarifying presence of the natural world, and ways of being awake and alive in the only moment we really have: this one.

I hope you'll follow me beyond the storytelling, and join me on this very human journey....




MoonsilverTales

"Yes: I am a dreamer. For a dreamer is one who can only find his way by moonlight, and his punishment is that he sees the dawn before the rest of the world." ~Oscar Wilde

‘I dream my paintings and then I paint my dreams’. ~Vincent Van Gogh

The following little creations are taken from recent dreams, rough hewn and unpolished, mined directly from the unconscious. They are the raw material for future Wishing Tree tales, and they are very, very short .

Wednesday 8 July 2015

Paradise Found

 
I have just returned from a very special week in France, at my first-ever writers' retreat.

It was a week filled with poetry and prose, interesting conversations with like-minded people, and the kind of atmosphere that is so conducive to being creative.  The setting consisted of everything I love most: creaking verandas overgrown with wild lavender and jasmine; secluded gardens with comfy cushions under rattling aspen trees; a wild mountain stream with a deep pool in which we could swim and paddle; tangled woods; forest-clad mountains; donkeys and chickens and nightjars and thrumming bees - and even a small grass snake. It reminded me of my old paradise, Cobb Valley (A Piece of Heaven), with its sun-baked earth and wild unravelling edges, and the ever-present rumble of the distant waterfall. 


It also evoked my early childhood, swinging in hammocks under bendy-limbed mulberry trees and picking grapes from the vine-twisted pergolas.  There was even a small harp for me to play...
And yes, to answer your unspoken question, I did eventually write something.  I started my new collection of short stories with three ideas and completed a first draft for one of them.  Which was particularly challenging in a heatwave.  I exchanged book titles with my fellow writers, bought a book of poems, learned the names for all kinds of wild flowers, trees and birds, as well as the hummingbird hawkmoth and the holm oak tree (a corruption of the word 'holly' where the evergreen leaves are slightly holly-shaped) and listened to the inspiring memoirs of those who had written for years and those who had never written before.  At times this was a knock to my confidence as a writer relatively new to sharing my work; everyone else's work always sounds better than your own.  I was reminded how much I have yet to learn, and that is no bad thing.  

It made me realise how important it is to take time out for yourself, if you can.  Of course, it doesn't have to be in another country, although the sunshine certainly helps.  A single week can put a much-needed spark back in your plugs.  
I'm not saying exactly where it was. 
I'm keeping it a secret. 
I'm a bit worried there will be a rush on the place and no room left for me to return.  But if you are really desperate to know, I may take pity on you...
 
(No promises, though.)

 
 


2 comments :

Anonymous said...

I am so pleased that you made this trip! It sounds a fantastic place, in all the meanings of the word!

juliedawndreams said...

Thanks Caroline. I suspect it was also your sort of place.