The Point of Vanishing & Other Dreams

Blog


In my blog, I explore the themes that weave through my stories and dreams:

the need to belong, and the fear of loss; the longing for family and home and love; loneliness and the extraordinary power of the human spirit; depression - and hope; the clarifying presence of the natural world, and ways of being awake and alive in the only moment we really have: this one.

I hope you'll follow me beyond the storytelling, and join me on this very human journey....




MoonsilverTales

"Yes: I am a dreamer. For a dreamer is one who can only find his way by moonlight, and his punishment is that he sees the dawn before the rest of the world." ~Oscar Wilde

‘I dream my paintings and then I paint my dreams’. ~Vincent Van Gogh

The following little creations are taken from recent dreams, rough hewn and unpolished, mined directly from the unconscious. They are the raw material for future Wishing Tree tales, and they are very, very short .

Sunday 17 August 2014

To Dream or Not to Dream


 

Dreams. Those strange, half-life images that entrance and haunt and linger upon waking with melancholy, with sadness, with unease.  Or at other times tease with the suggestion of a magical story that evaporates before I can get pen to paper. Like last night, for instance.

I dreamt I was in a tiny village from which I couldn't escape. Every road out was under deep snow, although the village itself remained untouched. So I passed the time by wandering along the cobbled lane lined with olde worlde shops, peering through their leadlit windows with bottle-thick glass, and the first shop I entered sold smells. Not perfumes, but smells: cut grass, and horse sweat, and the first chill wind of autumn. Immensely frustrating, because upon waking I couldn't recall the wares of a single other shop in that village. I shall have to resort to conscious, effortful invention for turning this into a story; always a poor second best.

But most intriguing of all, and rare for me, are those dreams that have a life beyond their own. For example, my story Summerland. This story came to me in its entirety, and I thought it odd, but wrote it down (as always) and eventually, a year or two later, turned it into a story. I wanted to change the name, which sounded terribly Enid Blytonish to me, but at the same time I felt strangely loyal to it, as if I would betray the entire dream if I altered anything. After writing to it, I sent it to my closest friend in New Zealand, who is generally my 'first reader'. She replied, 'Where did you hear about Summerland?' which I thought was a strange comment. After a brief exchange of emails, it came to light that there was an entire belief system in the 1800s, originating with theosophy and neo-paganism, about a place of rest called Summerland where souls can rest between their earthly incarnations. ' A common element,' says Wikipedia, 'is that the soul has little, if any, recollection of the Summerland once it arrives on the mortal plane again.' My version of Summerland wasn't quite the same as the one described by neopaganism, since the souls in my story had no recollection of their life on earth. But what was uncannily similar was that in the next incarnation, 'you may choose what form you take and even a little about your situation. You decide this based upon which lessons you wish to learn in your next life.'

Now what I should clarify here is that I have had no interest in theosophy or neo-paganism or wiccan beliefs, and I'm not even sure I quite believe in reincarnation, at least not in the form that many people seem to ascribe to. But if I had ever read anything about such a belief, with or without the name 'Summerland' attached to it, I would not have forgotten this; it would have intrigued me. So it seems very unlikely that I came across this and did not consciously remember it. The only other explanation I can think of is that I tapped into what Jung coined 'collective unconsciousness'.  It seems the most plausible option, anyway.

There are many 'dream interpretation' websites and apps out there.  I've explored some of them and not found them very illuminating.  However, I am somewhat intrigued by on approach: that of Dr Ian Wallace, a psychologist who gives interpretations which aim to offer helpful points of 'action' as a way forward for self-development: http://ianwallacedreams.com

I'm still not sure what Summerland may mean, but it should be fun trying to find out.

 

 

3 comments :

Unknown said...

I'm intrigued that you dream so viviidly and then remember them enough to write a story.
I swear I don't dream, but then I must. Just occassionally I'll wake up during the night and be thinking/dreaming about something, but then by morning it might as well never have happened.
And as for remembering, there is simply nothing there. I wouldn't have a clue.
And yet I know other can recall dreams.
Why don't I? Or, do I want to?
I guess we're all wired differently.

juliedawndreams said...

That happens to me too. But I discovered that the more I write them down, even as the briefest note, even in the middle of the night, somehow it makes them stick. After a few months and years of this, my brain remembers and regurgitates them more easily. However, I still get lazy and miss some fantastic dream at 2am; it gets overlaid by the dream at 6am.

Unknown said...

I love the comment about dreams 'evaporating' before u get chance to write them down. Mine often evaporate before I have chance to remember them at all and u can sort of feel them slipping away. I also hate it when you wake up with a horrible lingering feeling and you are waiting with a sort of dread to see if your brain will reveal what has brought on the feeling. Often I just then get a glimmer of what it was and then it slips away. This never seems to happen with positive uplifting dreams,I either just remember them or presumably sometimes have them but dont remember them!